Whether you’re planning a winter ski trip with family and friends, or thinking about a warm-weather getaway to a new location, it makes sense to get your credit card ready to travel, too. Follow these few simple tips to make your next vacation a little bit easier.
- Call your credit card company to let them know where you are going and for how long. This will put your account into a special status for fraud prevention.
- Add your mobile number to your credit card account information. This will ensure your credit card company can reach you in a timely fashion should a question arise about activity on your account.
- Prepare an emergency folder with key information. Include copies of your itinerary, what to do in an emergency and whom to alert, copies of each traveler’s passport, birth certificate, credit card numbers and cancellation phone numbers, computer passwords, and emergency health care information (include blood types, drug allergies, plus doctors’ names and phone numbers for access to needed medical records). Keep a copy of this folder at home, as well as at the office. It’s also a good idea to let a trusted friend or family member know where this information is.
- Copy credit card numbers, expiration dates, and customer service phone numbers only from the cards you plan to take. If you’re headed to foreign countries, call the 800 numbers for reporting lost or stolen cards and verify that those phone numbers are valid in the countries you will visit. At the very least, program the customer service numbers into your mobile phone.
- Check current insurance policies for coverage on rental cars, especially if traveling in foreign countries. If covered, take a copy of your current auto policy. Don’t forget to call your credit card company to see what, if any, travel benefits you might have.
Then relax and enjoy your upcoming vacation! As a travel enthusiast, be sure to check out Professional Solutions Financial Services’ reward-based business card, where you can earn 10,000 bonus points good for a $100 air travel discount right away. This credit card has other exceptional benefits, including no annual fee.